Friday, May 2, 2008

Unproductive

Well this week has been fairly unproductive. I haven't had much time to play with all my other obligations suddenly coming up one after the other. Usually I get at least one free day during the week, but not this time, my only play time was for about half an hour right before I had to be somewhere. I'm starting to feel like WoW may not fit into my life at this point. I would love to keep playing, but for how often I play I'm not sure the monthly fee is worth it. I have an Xbox360 and a Wii, so I have plenty of other games I can play casually, without a fee, and where I can get something accomplished without having to set aside a significant amount of time. I've actually been neglecting pretty much all my other games due to playing WoW and I kinda want to play something different without feeling guilty over losing WoW time. Luckily if I were to cancel my subscription, WoW keeps all your characters on the server still, waiting for you to resubscribe and pick back up again. Not sure if everyone knows about that so I just wanted to say that it isn't like Blizzard's other online games where your account can expire and you lose everything, you will be able to come back to WoW whenever you want and your characters will all still be there again, as if you had never left them.

I actually considered cancelling a little less than a year ago. I had been in school before that and only worked part time, plus had no significant other at the time so I had lots of free time on my hands and was playing every day. That all changed when I graduated, found a job, and was working full time with no idea how to change around my regular schedule to accomodate. When I tried to cancel I logged onto the account management page, clicked the option to cancel, and even though it said it was cancelled I wanted to make sure so I opened up WoW, tried logging in, and for some reason it still worked. Seems like I would have gotten some kind of message saying the account is no longer active, but it worked just like if I never hit the cancel button, so I kept playing since I was still paying. Has anyone else tried cancelling before? Does it automatically reinstate your account if you try to log back into the game?

Now I'm at the point where I want to play, but even though I try to plan out some free time, something else seems to always come up at the last minute and I'm getting pretty frustrated. The way my friends are, they will call me with something to do, and if I say I'm busy I have to tell them what exactly I'm busy with before they will accept it, and I can't justify telling them I'd rather play WoW. Sure I could lie and give them some other excuse, but in my mind I know what my real excuse is, and in my opinion WoW will never take precedence over RL stuff. I guess it isn't so much that I don't want to play, or even that I don't have time, I just find myself constantly getting my hopes up for some play time and being disappointed when I don't get it. WoW is a game where it's hard to just stop playing when something comes up. Many times I find myself logging out in the middle of a quest, not wanting to hearth because I don't want to have to run all over again, and there's a chance that when I log back in I will show up right on top of a mob. I like being able to manage my time, but Luckily I really have no connections to people in the game, pretty much all the friends I had have quit playing, so I won't have to worry about leaving anyone behind.

Well this idea is still in the works, but don't be surprised if my next post says I'm quitting.

No comments: