Monday, July 14, 2008

Still hunting

Nagrand sure has a lot of quests. I think I'm making good progress and keeping my travel time to a minimum so far, but I keep finding myself running back and forth a lot, but not for quests as much as just to sell all the items I keep picking up. A lot of the time I'll run out of bag space in the middle of a quest and have to choose which items to keep and which to leave, and this decision is based solely on which items are going to get me the most money at a vendor. Right now I just have to sort of guess at which items will sell best, and I know there are add-ons out htere that can tell you the vendor price for items you pick up, but there are some rules of thumb you can follow in case you don't have anything like that.

I pretty much keep any armor, weapon, or other equippable item as those can usually get you a good amount of money, even if each one takes up its own bag space. The easiest of these to keep are the gray items as you just sell them to vendors, and whether you sell any greens to a vendor is up to you and whether you want to make a trip to the AH, or whether it's even worth the trip given the stats the item has. Most of the time I just vendor this stuff assuming most people are like me and aren't going to bother checking the AH for upgrades until they hit 70, but if you get something with a good set of stats it might be worth your time. Anything blue or purple I keep, and if it will benefit one of my alts I will send it to them, if not I put it on the AH and it will almost always sell for a good amount. It seems people like the color of items more than whether they are actually that good, and you can play this to your advantage.

Next up are your cloths, leather, and other items that can be used in different professions. I keep all cloth and leather since I have both a tailor and leatherworker in my arsenal, but it's a good idea to keep the stuff to sell on the AH anyway because you will get way more for it that way. Other recipe items are really up to you and whether they will get you anything on the AH. If you know an item is needed for a high demand recipe then by all means keep it, but just because it's a recipe item doesn't mean somebody will want it as it could be for a recipe that nobody bothers making. Sometimes I keep these, but most of the time I will drop them if it will make space for something better.

There are other items that you run into in Outland that will increase your reputation with certain factions and these can be turned in to the guys with blue question marks over their heads. I pretty much keep all of these and turn them in whenever I have a chance. If you don't care about reputation then you want to keep these anyway because many other people do care, and you can put them on the AH for a pretty decent profit as they will be willing to pay in exchange for not having to farm the stuff themselves.

Last up what I will call 'junk' items. These are the gray items that nobody can use for anything, but sometimes you can sell them to vendors for a good amount of money. I pretty much base whether or not to keep these on how many of them are in a stack. If I have one stack of 13 of a certain item and a stack of 2 of another, I will drop the stack of 2 to make room for something better. Sure they may not sell for exactly the same per item, but they are usually pretty close if they come from the same zone so it's a pretty safe bet.

Making money isn't exactly my strength in this game, but if you don't want to be going back and forth to the AH all the time to maximize your profits you can still make decent money at vendors if you know what to keep.

No comments: