Thursday, February 5, 2009

Luck of the draw

I logged on yesterday for one purpose, and that was to farm some Fel Scales to level up Blackbare's leatherworking. I remembered them dropping fairly often from ravagers, so I made my way over to Hellfire Peninsula to grind them out.

Going by the guide I found, I would need enough to make 10 boots to get to 350, plus some extra since the recipe would go yellow at 345. This meant I would need over 20 Fel Scales, and I wasn't sure I would have enough leather to make them all either.

Well, it didn't go that quickly, but I did get 20 Fel Scales and also a good amount of leather, so I decided to try my luck and see if I could just get to 350 without more farming.

And guess what? It worked! I made 5 boots with the recipe in yellow and got a level each time. Not only that, but I still have some leather left over that I can send over to my priest to make some tailored boots.

I had actually expected that task to take a little longer, but now that it was done I still had time to play. I sent Blackbare to Stormwind, grabbed all the Borean Leather out of the bank that he had been collecting, then sent him to Northrend.

Once there I trained up my leatherworking some more and with all the Borean Leather I was able to get him up over 380. That's over 40 levels in one night, and probably a new record for me. I sent all the crafted stuff to the priest to disenchant.

Now it was time to get Keldreth's (that's the hunter's new name) herbalism up to Northrend level. Obviously this won't get done in one night, but I was surprised how fast it did go. She started off at 35 (pathetic for a 70, I know), and after running around Elwynn and Redridge she got a few levels past 100. It wasn't very eventful, just lots of running and one-shotting mobs that decided to pick a fight.

The interesting thing was, just about every time I picked something it gave me a level, even the yellows and greens. Actually I only remember one or two times when something didn't give me a level. Looks like last night was my lucky night for leveling up professions.

The next place I'm sending her is the Wetlands. I decided to do the traveling last night so I can go straight into gathering next time. I stopped off at Ironforge on the way and put up the herbs she had just picked for auctiong. May as well make some money since I don't really need them for anything. Then I sent her over to Menethil to log out.

I guess I was worried about this profession leveling for nothing. I really thought leatherworking would take much longer. Herbalism is going pretty quickly too, although I think once I get into the Outland stuff I will have a little tougher time of it, but at least it's not stressful like a crafting profession, and I'll actually be making money from it rather than spending.

Soon enough I'll be able to level the little hordies a bit more before I dive back into leveling my priest to keep up with my friend. I'm pretty sure I'll get left behind, but I'll at least try to stay close.

I'm actually really looking forward to trying out arenas, but I'm wondering if I should do some BGs first to gear up before I head in there. I'm thinking I'll probably just go straight to arenas, but when I'm not doing that I'll do BGs on the side to grab some PvP gear so we'll gradually become more competetive. I'll really need some practice figuring out how to play a priest in PvP.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'll rack up Herbalism in Outlands like crazy. Felweed is all over the place. Plus some of the MOBs drop herbs too.

WhoopinYe said...

Good to know, although hopefully the fact that I don't have a flying mount won't slow me down too much.