Monday, July 28, 2008

Change of plans

I decided to change my goals that I want to reach before the new expansion is released. The first goal of getting my druid to 70 still remains, and is top priority right now, but while I could easily make a death knight on my alliance server when the expansion comes out, I am really set on making him undead, which will most likely mean I need a level 55 character on my horde server. This poses a problem in that I don't have a level 55 character on my horde server. What I do have is a level 50 mage, but she's the product of one of my old roommate's time of playing on my account before he got his own. Now after having moved out more than a year ago, and the fact that he didn't bother to transfer the character to his new account, I think it's safe to say he doesn't care about her anymore and wouldn't mind me leveling her a little to get my death knight. The thing is, I have a slight problem with it, but I still want my undead death knight.

This is where the change in goals comes in. I had originally set my next goal (after getting the druid to 70) of getting my priest, who is level 63 right now, as far toward 70 as she can get before the expansion is released. I don't see any reason why the druid won't be 70 well before WotLK, and with it coming so soon it doesn't seem like I should bother trying to get him a bunch of gear that will be obselete soon anyway. Getting the priest to 70 is a stretch, and probably wouldn't have happened anyway, so I just figured I'd get her through as much as I could. Now I'm starting to think it wouldn't make sense for the death knight to be open on any server if you have a character over level 55 on just one server. Knowing how Blizz works, I don't think they'd want you to be able to create a new character at a higher level than any of the other characters on your server, so death knight creation will probably be limited to only those servers that you have another high level character on. I decided instead to put my priest leveling on hold and work on making my undead death knight available to me as soon as the expansion is released.

What I ended up deciding is to get one of my horde characters up to level 55 before the expansion. With the faster leveling from 20-60 I don't see this goal being all that unrealistic, but don't worry, I have a backup plan. When my druid hits 70 I will make the switch to my horde server and start leveling my mage, who is close to level 30 now. It's a little bit of a stretch, but I will try to get him to 55. Now that we pretty much know the release date of WotLK I can make a good estimation of whether I will meet my goal in time. If it gets to be a month before the release of the expansion and it looks like I won't be able to make the deadline, I will switch to the level 50 mage and level her up to 55 instead, which should be no problem to do in a month. I would really rather use my own characters, but creating a death knight overrides all else, and I will break my own rules to get him.

One other reason that I have decided against leveling the priest is that there is a good chance we will see faster leveling from 60-70 soon, maybe not right when the expansion is released, but I have so many other characters to level right now that if we get faster leveling in that range it would be better for me to wait until that happens. It's going to be interesting to see what the expansion will hold when it is finally released, but reading all the reports from the beta testers it sounds like it will be awesome. It might actually be a good thing I don't have a beta key or I'd probably never meet any of my goals.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have good news for you! I too thought the qualifications for creating a Death Knight would be a bit more complicated than just hitting the create button (it is a Heroic class, afterall). But I was mistaken. You simply need to have one level 55 character per account, not realm. If you do, then you can create a Death Knight on whichever realm you want... one per realm.

http://wotlkwiki.info/index.php/Deathknight

So you don't have to level another character anymore!

WhoopinYe said...

Awesome, thanks for the info! Now I can set some less strenuous goals and still get my desired outcome, it's all about having fun after all.