Thursday, July 3, 2008

More updates

I had planned on getting at least a little bit of play time yesterday after work, but once again the patches managed to screw me over. I ended up starting up the game, only to find there were still more patches I needed to install. I'm not really sure how the game determines which patches you're missing, but it seems like it should just install the latest one and that would bring you up to the current version. As it is, I had to download 3 more patches to catch up to the current patch, which took a while, and by they time they were actually done I only had about 10 minutes of play time before other activities took me away. I guess I shouldn't complain too much about it, and next time I'll get the patches off other sites rather than through the Blizzard downloader, which always seems to go extra slow. Any good suggestions on reliable sites to get the current patches from?

In my tiny bit of time playing I manage to finish one quest with my druid. I disguised myself as an orc and ran into a base crawling with bad guys. I found out after reading some comments about the quest that one of the guys in the base can see through the disguise, which in turn makes you lose the disguise right in the middle of the base to be killed by all the other mobs. This was after having this happen 3 times, but the next time I avoided him and managed to talk to all the NPCs I needed to, but in the middle of talking to the last one I got jumped by a level 70 Tauren warrior, which caused me to lose my disguise somehow. That was pretty annoying, and I fled the base, sure I was going to be slaughtered, but I wanted to get out so I wouldn't have to rez in the middle of a bunch of mobs. I hit travel form and booked it, and the Tauren followed me on foot for a while, charging me whenever he could, but for whatever reason he never got a hamstring on me and I was always able to pull away. I watched in my rear view mirror as he started to mount up, so I quickly ran behind a tree, switched to kitty form, and stealthed while changing directions. He came bounding down the road on his mount and I was sure he came close enough to see me, but moving that fast puts you out of range again quick and I think by the time he realized he had seen me in stealth I had moved away from that spot. He ran around for a bit looking for me, but ultimately gave up and ran off. I do love fooling the opposing faction and playing those little games of hide and seek, especially when they're 6 levels above you and just end up looking stupid for chasing you so far.

I ended up finishing the quest, then started in on the follow up which basically had me go back in the base and kill the mobs I was just impersonating. I killed a few, but had other stuff I had to attend to so I logged out before finishing it up. I've found that I don't care so much about logging out in an inn because I have so much rested experience with this character, and it takes so long to catch up to that at such a high level, that I really don't see myself ever running out before hitting 70, even if I never log out a the inn again. I think it's mainly due to my lack of play time, meaning only getting 1x the rate is plenty to keep me filled up because whatever experience I get in one session will ultimately be refilled by the time I get to play again anyway. I also don't like running back to where I was last time because I decided to go back to the inn to log out. In this case I was in the middle of the zone, but if I wanted to get my rested bonus I would have to run back up to Shattrath, which isn't that far, but when I log back in I have to run back to where I was to continue the quest. Doesn't really make much sense when I can save myself that run the next time I get on by just logging out right there and I can easily pick up where I left off last time. I wouldn't recommend this strategy at low levels though, even when you don't have a mount because that rested XP runs out fast and you want to have it for as long as you can.

I should hopefully get a lot of time to play tonight, with the gf going to a bachelorette party I have nothing to distract me, although with the day off tomorrow I could find myself out with friends as well. Oh and my replacement hard drive should be coming today, so I think I will be back in action with much better graphics soon enough. Have a happy 4th of July everybody!

No comments: