Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Silly Quests

One thing I enjoy about WoW is that it's made for everyone. Being set in a land with so much violence and danger they could have given it a very serious feel, but instead they decided to add that element of fun to it that keeps me coming back. It isn't always obvious either, just some of the NPC names are funny, and when they pair it up with the profession they give those NPCs it makes it even better. I wonder who decided to name the new bag selling NPC Haris Pilton, or who came up with an idea for a quest where you have to kill animals so a dog can eat them, then search through his poo for an item, not to mention the debuff it gives you.

I ran into this yesterday while killing ogres in BEM. First I had a quest to drop beer on the ground to lure an ogre over and get him drunk, pretty simple, but also more fun than just killing ogres one by one. Then I met a caged NPC in the camp and she gave me a quest sort of along the same lines. I needed to get her gear back, but two named ogres were holding them, each in his own tent. I found the first one, but in standing right next to him were two elite ogre guards, and theres no way I'm gonna take them all out by myself. I check the quest again to see if maybe I missed the fact that it was a group quest, but no, there was clearly no '(Group)' listed next to name of the quest. I was confused for a while, and decided to just keep getting ogres drunk and then killing them.

Later I went back because I knew there had to be something more to this quest, so I pulled the two non-elites in the tent and killed them, luckily this didn't aggro any of the other mobs. Then I moused over the guards to make sure they were actually elite. They were, but I noticed something, they were called SOBER guards, meaning they didn't drink. Hmmm, I had started with 10 uses on the beer I was carrying, but only needed to get 5 ogres drunk for my quest, there must be a reason to have so many more than I needed, so I got as close to the mob I needed to kill as I could, set down the beer, and backed away. Sure enough, he came bounding over the fire pit in the middle of the room to drink, and thats when I slapped him with a moonfire, switched to cat form and tore him down, all while the guards just stood there oblivious. Repeated this process for the other named ogre and returned the equipment to the nice lady. She then had a similar quest which had me killing another named ogre, maybe a little tougher than the other two, but still a pull with beer kinda guy, and I turned that one in too. Unfortunately the next quest she gave me actually was a group quest, so I left that one alone and finished up my other quests before heading back to turn them in.

It's quests like these that make this game fun and keep me coming back. They like to make you think a little, not just go out and mindlessly kill stuff, and the hints they give you to help you complete the quests can be humorous. Sometimes the hints don't seem so obvious at first, but if you're given a quest with elites involved but it isn't actually specified as a group quest there must be some way around fighting them.

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do next in this zone. After returning to Sylvanaar and turning in all the quests I had, nobody else there needed anything from me. There must be more than that to this zone, I only gained about half a level since I got there, so I guess I'm gonna have to do some scouting and figure out where the next set of citizens in need are.

No comments: