Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Lucky for Azeroth

The Burning Legion has no clue about war tactics. As I make my way through Outland I'm finding out just how dumb these guys are. I mean, they set up their forge camps on the very edge of the map and then wonder why they are having so much trouble gaining any ground. In Hellfire Peninsula they're up on a cliff that you can't even get to unless you fly up, and sure they have a few cannons up there, but they're too busy fending off players on quests to destroy them to take any shots at the Horde or Alliance bases, but at least they can cause some damage. Now that I've made my way to Nagrand I'm finding myself wondering what they were thinking when they set up their bases. They have them set up on the far side of the map, right on the edge, some of them you can't even get to unless you fly, and they think they're gonna cause any kind of damage. I didn't even know they had a presence in that zone until I flew over them on a borrowed dragon, and even then I can't help but wonder what kind of threat those camps actually pose. Relying on power in numbers can only get you so far, and I think the Burning Legion is gonna have to figure that out before they have any chance of taking Azeroth from its inhabitants.

It's funny how you can get drawn into a game like WoW and actually care about how things turn out. There are times when I end up with an old quest on my list that I really don't need to bother with, but I feel bad letting down the guy that gave me the quest. I told him I would do it, and now he's waiting for me to come back after completing it. At that point I have to remind myself how many other people have done that same quest and that someone else will do it again if I don't. Besides that, having played through the Warcraft RTS games, I know a good deal about the lore, or at least as much as you can get from those games without reading any of the litarature that has come out of them. I got to play as Arthas, both as a human and undead. I got to tell Illidan what to do and he mowed down those infernals like they were nothing. This game probably has the most dependency on its storyline than almost any other game out there, and while that is a great way to keep fans coming back and actually caring, I think they're going to have more and more trouble in the future.

Right now we are eagerly awaiting the next expansion, and I do believe it will be better than the last as they now know even better what the players want. The problem is the game is still going strong, and other MMO games aren't really causing it to lose much of its fan base, but with Arthas being the evil at the top of the food chain, where will they go when players start asking for a new expansion? They will have to come up with new lore, a new, more powerful evil, and much more. Up until this point the main story has come from Warcraft 3, but after this expansion they will have to make some stuff up to keep it going. I had been hoping they were going to come out with Warcraft 4 to begin the new story, but with Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 on the way I find it hard to believe they are very far in that process yet, or if they even have it planned.

Given the popularity of the game they have to keep it going somehow, so I will be interested to see what direction they will take if they make another expansion after WotLK.

No comments: