Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Takes forever

I decided I didn't want to wait for my new hard drive to show up, so I started installing WoW on my old computer, which I haven't used in almost a year and has been in boxes since I moved. But I took it out and set it up the other day and decided it would be a good idea to have a backup computer with WoW on it. This gave me the chance to find out how long it takes to install the game from scratch. My older computer isn't really that slow, at least as far as reading the CDs and all, but with 4 disks for the game, plus another 4 for the expansion, it really adds up. Oh I almost forgot, I also had to update it to the current patch, I think that took the longest of all, but I'm not really sure because I started the update and went to bed to let it install overnight.

The good thing is that I ended up having company over last night so I wouldn't have been able to play anyway, but I could still get up to change the disks every so often while they were there so I wasn't really losing out on any playing time due to the long installation and finished it up during a time when the computer wasn't going to be in use for anything else anyway. I supposed I get to go through all this again when I get my new hard drive for my laptop, but at least now if my laptop decides to crash again I will be able to play in low quality on my desktop during the downtime.

I'm sort of curious to see how different the game looks when I have to put it on the low resolution, minimum graphic settings of my desktop. The funny thing is, my graphics card is a pretty good one, but the monitor tops out at a very low resolution so while I could turn up the settings and still run smoothly, I have to run the game at a lower setting anyway. It was pretty annoying when I found that out, but I guess thats why I got that particular monitor so cheap, and now that I have a laptop I see no reason to bother getting a better monitor. I remember the first time going back to my old computer after having the new one for a while just to see the difference and finding it unacceptable in comparison, but since it's the only thing I have at the moment I'm just gonna have to deal with it. This whole experience really makes me want one of those new iMacs.

No comments: