Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Back in action

I'm back from vacation, and it sucks to be at work again. After a full week of nothing but basking in the sun and eating expensive tourist food, I have to go back to the office and sit in front of my computer all day again. I did, however, get to play a little WoW while I was in Hawaii. Normally I try not to play videogames on vacation, I figure it's something you do at home and in Hawaii there is so much more to do with your time, but I don't see any problem with playing while the rest of the people you are with are showering or doing all that other stuff women do before they're ready to go out. So there were a few days where I got to play for about half an hour at a time, maybe a little more, so I decided to start up my Blood Elf paladin.

Out of all the classes, I left pallies for last, and I guess I held off on playing a paladin because my friend that started playing about the same time as me went with a pally as his first character. We both proceeded to level up to 60 and while I started an alt, he joined a casual raiding guild and geared himself up for places like ZG and MC. I think he even ran ZG a couple times, but at this point in the life of WoW pallies really weren't that sought after for raids. They didn't have great tanking gear, and warriors tended to get dibs on it, ret was a joke, and healadins usually lost out to priests in the healer slot. So he got frustrated, started a warrior alt, got frustrated again, and decided to call it quits. After quitting I told him I would probably start running alts mostly and not really focus on one character, so I asked him how he liked playing a pally. He basically told me not to bother with one, because while he did have fun with it, after seeing how involved you have to be in combat with all the other classes he would rather have played something else. I haven't gotten far enough on my pally to know if that's true or not, but I guess most of his combat was just auto attacking until the mob was dead and healing when he needed it, which didn't happen very often when soloing. So his strategy was mostly run up to a mob, right click on it, and sit there until it's dead. Then after he actually watched me play my rogue and how often I had to hit buttons and plan out my finishing moves and he realized that the way he was playing isn't how everyone else is playing and I think he was disappointed at how boring his pally seemed in comparison.

Well I started a pally anyway, and so far it's pretty fun, although I've only gotten her to level 9, but I do like how little attention I have to pay when I'm in combat. I guess I not only play WoW for a casual amount of time, but when I'm playing I like to be casual too. I usually sit on the couch with my laptop and play, but at the same time the TV is on and any time the game doesn't require my full attention I like to watch TV, or eat, or something. I like to think I'm being more productive, because not only am I playing WoW, but I'm watching TV at the same time. Maybe some would say that's just wasting time in two different ways at the same time, but for me it's killing two birds with one stone, and playing my pally makes it so easy to do that. I'm not sure how long I'm gonna stick with her for now though, I really only started her up because of how limited my playtime was in Hawaii and at the higher levels you can't get much done in half an hour, but with new ones you can gain two or three levels and finish five quests in that amount of time. I think I'll at least get her to level 10 and check out the talent trees before I switch over to someone else, but right now I think I'll be levelling as retribution and probably stick with that since I don't see myself ever making it far enough with her to need to make a change. I can't wait to get a free mount.

No comments: