Friday, June 27, 2008

Total failure

Well my string of bad luck continues as my computer died yesterday. I woke up and found my computer on already. I had left it on all night downloading some music, but I had set it to turn off automatically after it finished downloading so it was strange that one album would take all night. When I opened it up there was a screen up that said "disk read error." Well as always happens with Vista I figured it just needed to be turned off for a bit then turned back on, but no such luck, and I had no time to deal with it so I turned it off hoping I could come home from work to find it functional again. No such luck. I popped in the system restore disk and got settled in to do some Windows restoring, only to find my hard drive had somehow been wiped clean. Luckily I don't really have important stuff on my computer, just WoW and a few other games, some various episodes of anime, and my music, which is also on my ipod an most of it is on my old computer too.

Well I figure I better get settled in to start the process of reinstalling Windows since it looks like that's my only option left, but halfway through installation I get another error saying it can't find some installation sources or something and that I should restart the installation. So I do...about 10 times, and never get past that point, so there has to be something wrong in there somewhere, but I don't know enough to troubleshoot past this so I tried calling the manufacturer. Of course it was around 9pm and their tech support wasn't in so I left an email and I await their reply. I'd rather avoid sending it back in, so hopefully they can give me a solution I can do myself, otherwise I just really need this bad luck streak to end.

To recap, in the past month I have: had my house burglarized, losing my TV, Xbox360, Wii, and all the games that went along with them; had my credit card used on various online purchases, none by me, but all having some sort of free trial with a membership that I had to cancel in order for them to not bill me later for the product they sent, plus the hassle of getting my card number changed, the transactions removed, and a new one sent to me; ordered a new TV, only to have the shipping warehouse call me at 8am on a Saturday, the day it was supposed to be delivered, informing me they were out of stock and I would have to wait at least another 2 weeks, but they couldn't guarantee they would have one at that time either; and now my computer crashes, wiping my hard drive, and for some reason it won't let me reinstall Windows. Could be worse I guess, but I'm getting fed up with it.

No comments: