Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Addon n00b

Actually I never even looked into addons until over a year into playing. I had always checked out the database sites and seen people putting map coordinates up to help others find their way around, but they also usually had maps that showed locations so it didn't seem like I needed to bother with anything like that. At the time I didn't know just how many addons there were or what they all did, I had just never looked into it. Then I'm not really sure what happened, but for some reason I checked out an addon website and looked through a bunch of the stuff they had on there. It was really cool. Aside from getting map coordinates, I could also get info on mobs, see where certain items drop, view what is equipped on all of my characters at once, and many other helpful tools could be at my disposal if only I had looked into it earlier. I guess up until that point I had thought stuff like that was sort of considered cheating and would take away from the game, and now that I think about it I'm actually glad I didn't use addons until I had learned the game on my own first. I don't think I would have gotten the same experience if I had been able to find everything right off the bat, hell, I didn't even discover Thottbot for the first few months, and I had a lot of fun exploring and discovering things on my own before then.

Well at this point I still don't use any UI mods and I've never used Vent or any other form of verbal communication (don't have a mic anyway), I just don't think I need anything like that for what I do in the game. I haven't found the default UI to be lacking in any way for what I need to use it for, and I also don't feel like learning a new setup anyway, mine is just fine. As for other addons, the only ones I really use would be MobInfo, AlphaMap, and sometimes AtlasLoot if I am looking to farm gear for one of my alts from an instance. Oh sure I have other addons installed, but I don't use them for the most part, they're just convenient to have should the situation ever arise that I would need to use it. All these addons are from the Cosmos downloader, and they've done pretty well at keeping the stuff up to date after new patches come out. I know I've heard a lot of people say they use Curse, but I'm not really sure what the difference is, I might have to do a little research on that.

I'm thinking about getting a quest helper addon. I've heard of addons that map out quests for you, show you where to go on the map, even group quests together that should be done at the same time and search the databases for info on quest strategies. Sounds like a very useful tool, and since pretty much all of my play time is done questing I think an addon like this would be invaluable to me.

Other than that I'm sort of looking for suggestions on good addons to use. I'm not really planning on getting a new UI, and since I don't raid I don't really have any use for addons that have to do with raiding, but I would like a quest helper addon, and if anybody could help me get some info on whether I should switch over to Curse or not I would appreciate it, because now that I actually try to view their site I find that it's blocked by the filters at work. Maybe I'm just destined to be an addon n00b.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love "LightHeaded"- it attaches to your quest log and gives you the co-ords and tips right beside the quest description. Very easy to use.

I did a review of it here: http://www.tinythoughts.com/wow/?p=17