Friday, April 25, 2008

Drop rates and revelations

One of the most annoying things I run into in this game is how bad some of the drop rates are. I'm not talking about epic drops from bosses in the end game raids, I mean how often certain quest items drop from mobs. I finally got to play a little yesterday and going through Silverpine on my way to Hillsbrad I had a couple quests to do that I though would be pretty quick. Well let's just say that by the time I had to log out I hadn't even finished the first one yet, and when I started I thought I had plenty of time to do both quests and run to Tarren Mill. The quest I'm referring to is one where you have to pick up linen cloth and mana gems from mages in southeast Silverpine, I believe it was called Ambermill. Needless to say, the cloth was dropping like usual, but after getting 3 of the 6 mana gems I needed they just pretty much stopped dropping. I think I killed a total of 30 or so mobs, and only had 3 gems to show for it. Now in some cases a 10% drop rate is pretty good, maybe when you're farming hard to get materials or trying for an epic boss drop. This drop rate is not good for quest items however, it's just plain annoying.

Anybody who has played Alliance knows about the two horrible Westfall quests, Westfall stew and goretusk liver pie. Westfall stew requires killing a few different mobs for the quest items, one of them being goretusks, and the other just requires some goretusk livers...also found on goretusks. Naturally we do these quests at the same time as it will save time, right? Well, after many times going through these quests (probably about 9 times or more) I'm going to say you're probably better off skipping these altogether. Maybe do Westfall stew since it's not as bad, but for some reason those goretusks never seem to have a liver. So if you finish Westfall stew and haven't collected enough livers yet, you may as well just give it up, you'll waste more time trying to finish it than the reward is worth. Actually, now that leveling is faster, there are many very long quests that you can feel free to skip if it's going to hinder your leveling as you will probably still outlevel a zone before you finish all the quests there.

I'm a little excited about what I will be doing next with my mage. I'm at the point where I will be going to zones and doing quests I've never done before as the furthest along Horde characters I've had didn't get to much higher level than my mage and they did zones in a different order. I don't think I've ever quested in Hillsbrad before as Horde, and anything past that will be a new experience, this is exactly why I can keep coming back to this game, I would have probably quit a long time ago if there wasn't so much you could do.

A few months ago I had 9 characters on Alliance, one of each class, all on the same server so they could support each other. Of those characters, 5 of them were over level 40, and I consider that beyond the point of deleting, I just can't justify deleting a character when they get past that point, it's too much play time wasted. The other 4 characters I played into their teens and some into their twenties, but I came to a point where I was dreading trying to level one up since I would be going through all the same stuff I've been through multiple times before. Seriously, if you dread logging on to a certain character, they don't deserve to be kept around, so I went on each of the lower level characters, sent their gold and anything else valuable to my keepers, and deleted them, a little bit of a waste, but I couldn't stand to see them sitting on that server never getting played. It isn't because I didn't enjoy playing their specific classes, it was just getting too monotonous with all the same content over and over, so I decided in order to play those last 4 classes I would roll Horde, and I have yet to regret that decision. I will always support the rolling of alts to keep boredom away, and starting a new class can be a new experience in itself, but sometimes doing all the same stuff as a different class just isn't enough, so if you're really looking for a way to spice up the game you have to try the other faction.

Happy Friday everybody!

1 comment:

ambersbridal said...

Thanks for sharing – There are couple of others which I think deserve a mention like 99 Designs etc. It will be great if you could also feature some UX sources in the list! Cheers Less is more. Our lace wedding dresses best interpret the concept of amber-like purity by highlighting nothing but the texture of sheer fabrics.together with the air of hope and confidence towards life ooze out. Just release yourself from the dazzling complexity and all lost in simplicity.