Monday, September 8, 2008

Kickin' it old school

Raise your hand if you had played any of the previous Warcraft games before you played WoW.

I remember getting Warcraft II not long after it came out and running it on my DOS PC. It's funny watching people who have never used DOS before try to figure it out. Sure I don't know all the commands, but I at least know how to get to the files I'm looking for.

Anyway, I managed to get my hands on a copy of Warcraft II: Battle.net edition this past week from eBay for $10. Now I had already finished both campaigns in the original game, but in the past I had never gotten the expansion. Now I'm making my way through the Orc expansion campaign, and while I'm not exactly up to par with my skill level before, I'm getting the hang of it and it's pretty fun.

Part of the reason I decided to play was to get a look back at those names we hear over and over, but who are long dead in the WoW world. I really miss some of those old games and how they sculpted my tastes in videogames.

In the past I was all about RTS games, but currently they have become way more complicated and I think I need to catch up. Warcraft II was simple, yet required strategy because you basically can produce the same units as your oppenent and have to figure out how to beat them.

So I think between leveling my WoW characters, when I don't have much time to play I'm going to be working my way through the Warcraft II expansion campaigns, then maybe I'll move on to Warcraft III, which I did beat but also never got the expansion for. I'm also thinking of getting into some Command & Conquer action, the original Red Alert was one of my favorites.

Moving on to WoW... WotLK Hunters can now tame CORE HOUNDS!?!? Are you serious? This is awesome news, and while I'm sure every BM hunter out there will have on, they look so cool that it really doesn't matter, I'll be getting one as soon as I can, especially since my cat will pretty much suck compared to the other options. I think they only ones available are either in MC (red) or Uvuros/Spawn of Uvuros (green). Still, maybe there will be a blue one in Northrend somewhere, who knows?

I didn't manage to play my shammy much, just got a few quests done, but I think part of the reason she was parked in the first place was because I had so much traveling to do before being ready to move on to more questing. After Tanaris I have more traveling to do if I'm going to stick with my alternate route to 60 so I don't end up going through the same stuff as my hunter.

It was already tough finding gaming time, but now with my new found passion for old RTS games, as well as Rock Band 2 coming out soon, and I also want to check out Spore, I might be having a little trouble getting the hunter and shammy up to 60 before WotLK, although with the core hounds now available to tame that could all change.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I'm interested in advertising on your site. I'm currently looking for text link ads or blog post, please let me know if you accept sites such as mine and if you do what your prices are. I don't want to put my email here, so please use the contact form at www.mmobay.net if your interested.