Monday, September 29, 2008

One down...

...one to go. Yeah, I managed to get my hunter to 60 this weekend, and managed to do it all on Kalimdor.

I guess I forgot how much grind questing takes place in Silithus. I fully expected the XP from the quests there wouldn't be enough to get me to 60, but since the drop rates are so bad on all of them, I had to kill a lot of stuff in the process. Oh how I hate trying to collect 10 Encrypted Twilight Text pages, and the fact that there are two quests that require you to do so; luckily I didn't even need to do the second one.

So now my hunter's quest log is almost empty, except the few quest I have to turn in on the other continent. I saved those for turn in after I hit 60 just to have a little extra XP going into Outland.

This leaves just my shaman that needs to be leveled to 60, and it's looking to be very doable before the expansion comes out. I may even have to add some new goals to my list, such as leveling some Hordies. I'm also going to have to pick up some new pets for my hunter when the new patch hits, or at least grab my new core hound if nothing else.

This brings me to my current dilemma, and that is who I should focus on leveling next. Out of all the Hordies, the mage is the furthest along, and I will probably go with him first, but rested XP bonus gets used up quickly at those levels, and I need a gameplan for who to switch to.

I have big plans for my warlock, but she will have to get to a higher level first, so she will be up next. That leaves me with a choice between the warrior and paladin. Both are pretty gear dependent, with the warrior being more so.

The problem I have with classes being so gear dependent is that I end up having trouble playing them. Warriors just can't survive without constantly upgrading their gear. They rely so much on their high damage mitigation that if you don't get new armor every couple levels you will start having a tough time surviving fights.

This is the main reason I left these classes until the end. I've played a warrior before, and I know they have a few class specific quests that gets you some good equipment upgrades, but they just take so long to complete. They have you running all over the world, grabbing items that have terrible drop rates, and by the time you finish it you are already a few levels above the item.

The pally, on the other hand, is a little more lenient in it's dependence for gear. With their healing abilities, plus being able to bubble, you can get away with more. For them it's more about the weapon, but the depend on it more than most other classes do. In my case I will be going Retribution, so a big, slow hitting two-hander is the way to go. I hope those are easy to come by.

Most of the reason I waited to level these guys until last was gear dependence for the warrior, and just the fact that I was told pally leveling is really boring. This won't stop me from doing it, but I will still save them for last.

I guess I should get my shammy to level 60 before I start worrying too much about all this, but hopefully she will be there sometime in the next couple weeks and I will get to move on to some new territory.

No comments: