Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Tearing it up

The shammy absolutely tore through some of the Hinterlands quests last night. It was nice seeing windfury proc like it's supposed to. Too bad everything I was fighting was more than 5 levels below me, so of course I'm hitting and critting like crazy.

Also been taking a look at what searches lead people to this blog. I'm finding the most common search is "wow wotlk raids". Obviously people are interested in what the raids are looking like in the new expansion, and while I'd love to tell you, I don't have a beta key either, so no luck here.

Another search I'm seeing pop up more often is something having to do with starting a new character. Either picking a class, or just starting out, I'm seeing quite a few searches and I just hope my past posts about this are helping you out. Take a look at the side menu and find Beginner Tips; all my suggestions about new characters can be found there.

Lastly I will reiterate something that lots of people are still confused about it seems. I saw one search that said "if I transfer a 70 after the expansion can I make a deathknight". As far as I can tell, the answer to this is yes. The requirement to create a death knight is having a character over level 55 on the account. It doesn't seem to matter how it got there, or even if it's on the same server, it just has to be on that account.

I remember when they were thinking of doing a quest line at level 80 to unlock death knights, and while many people welcomed that, there were obvious reasons they couldn't do this. Lots of people who play the game have enough trouble getting to level cap, and then making a quest line after that might be a little much, especially if it involved running instances for some of those quests.

Some people complained that this change would make it too easy, and that hero classes should be special and require hard work to open. I agree with this to a point, but I disagree with what most of these complainers think is an acceptable amount of work.

Death knights are a big piece of new content that everyone wants to try out. Blizzard couldn't possibly restrict so many users from making them, and considering how many players are very casual and wouldn't have time to get through all the requirements of a level 80 quest line it's a very significant amount. It's already hard enough for some casual players to make it to level 70 and enter Northrend, take away death knights from them as well and they probably wouldn't even bother buying the expansion.

So what Blizzard said is this: "We're going to start death knights at level 55, and if you can get another character to level 55 then you've already spent enough time playing to warrant letting you create a death knight."

Not only does this allow death knights to be created right from the start when the expansion is released for many players, but at least there is some work involved for people who want to make one. Sure, many people had done this work long ago, but just because you don't have to do anything extra now doesn't mean the work wasn't done.

It doesn't seem to be a big deal anymore as most people have accepted this decision, but it just reiterates the fact that while there is a lot of content in the end game, Blizzard will never stop making new things available to players who may not have as much time as others to play.

I'm glad they decided to go this route, not only because it means I will be able to create a death knight right off the bat, but because my plethora of alts will never have a dull moment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post!
yeah, Blizzrd is always adding new content to keep us players busy.
Btw, how did you get the keywords people search to find your blog?

WhoopinYe said...

I would tell you if I knew. I think it might be something Blogger does automatically, or maybe somewhere in the options when you set up the blog.