Thursday, September 11, 2008

Limited time

Looks like this week just isn't my week for playing games much. Actually I expect to have even less time in the future. I guess I don't talk too much about what I do outside of WoW, but since I don't have any news on that right now maybe I can give a little insight into myself.

Like most people I do the whole 40 hour work week thing, get weekends off and such. I also try to stay fairly active. I work out about 3 days a week on average, although it varies from week to week. Soon I will be starting a new work out program, and it will probably take up even more time.

If anyone is curious, it's the P90-X program, a twelve week program that you do daily, and it's supposed to be one of the best out there. It's also supposed to be one of the most strenuous, pretty much keeping you moving non-stop, so we'll see how far I get, but at least I can get some workout ideas from it if nothing else.

I also play adult softball, and not just on one team, but next week will start the season for a second team for me, so that's two nights a week I will be busy with that. Not to mention my girlfriend plays indoor soccer one night a week and I attend those games.

Then the weekend comes and I'm not to the point where I can stand sitting around all weekend. I need to get out and do something, and while I can usually squeeze in a little time in the mornings, I try to fill most of the day with other activities unless there is really nothing going on.

Do I think it's too much? Not really. I suppose if I was trying to get into raiding it might be, but I can't justify letting games take priority over other activities. I won't tell my softball team that I can't play because I'm in the middle of an instance, I'll just tell the group I have to go, and usually they will have been warned of my leaving early beforehand anyway to give them a chance to pass on me if they didn't want to deal with that.

I think my way of thinking has to do mainly with who my friends are. I used to hang out with gamers, but I have sort of grown apart from them and the people I hang out with now rarely play videogames and don't understand a lifestyle that revolves around gaming.

Unless it's work, I'm sick, or there's a girl involved, there's really no acceptable reason I could give them, especially not a game like WoW. They just don't understand how videogames could take priority over real life, and I often find myself agreeing with them on that.

Of course I like to sit down in front of the computer for a WoW marathon every once in a while if there is absolutely nothing else to do, but if someone were to call me with something to do I would log off and be out the door in a heartbeat. Most of the time I don't even bother logging out at the inn, even if my hearthstone is up, because the run back to where I was when I log in next time would be too much.

I'm young enough right now that, like myself, most of my friends are still unmarried, and I think that's a big part of the reason for this. Once they are all busy with their own families I will probably have more free time than I know what to do with, but for now I have to use my free time wisely, and if that means videogames take a back seat to real life, then that's what's gonna happen.

No comments: