Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Slight change of pace

Didn't get to play WoW yesterday so that kinda bummed me out, that's usually my cure for the crappiness that is the end of the weekend and the start of a new work week. Well this week a few friends wanted to hang out so we got some Smash Bros action on the Wii (Pikachu is the best!). Ever since the original for N64 I have loved that game, Gamecube version was awesome, and the new one has yet to disappoint me, controls are still as simple as ever so anyone can have fun playing, but to be good you can't just button mash so you don't just win by chance. We usually play Rock Band, probably the best game to play as a group (I play the drums), but since I just got Smash Bros last week we had to try it out.

Anyway, this blog is about WoW, so lets get back to that. First off, Kinless responded to my post about the timeless dilemma of how to manage your GF and WoW time (well maybe not timeless, but you know what I mean). I think I may have a chance in the future of getting her to play alongside me, just have to do a little convincing first. See, the main problem is she thinks RPG means Final Fantasy game, which I found out she can't stand playing, and while they are similar in that you level up and get better stats and equipment, the kind of experience the game gives you is not nearly the same. She also just finished college and is looking for a job, so I think I won't bring it up until she has a steady income established first (to pay for it if she likes it), but the good thing is she isn't opposed to videogames, she loves the Halo games, and even played Warcraft 3 a bit so she's at least familiar with it. For now I'll manage the same as I have been, but at some point I will innocently suggest she create a character and check out why I like to play so often, then I'll let the addictive aspect of the game take over and hope she gets hooked, I know I got my first level up and there was no turning back from that point on. Running around that little starting zone trying to figure out what the heck I was doing, I think it took 2 weeks for me to get to level 10 on my first character, but it was so much fun running around fighting bad guys, doing quests, and just exploring the huge world they created for us to play in. I think anyone who hasn't played before might have a hard time grasping why we keep going back to this game, but if any of them were to try it out there is a very good chance they would get hooked as I have.

On a side note, one of the friends that I had over yesterday was the guy that originally got me started playing WoW. We went and bought it at the same time a few months after it was released, made characters on the same server, and played all the way up to 60, not always together, but we tried to group up when we were both on at the same time. Then he quit playing right after the expansion came out and most recently has become hooked on Call of Duty 4, I'd rather he came back to WoW though. Well he asked me to show him my characters, since when he quit I had my level 60 rogue and my druid was still in his 30's, with no other characters yet. So now my rogue is still 60, which he thought was funny, but when he saw that my druid was 63, along with a 63 priest and my hunter and shammy in their 40's I think he was blown away. I think he's one of only a few friends of mine that know the dedication it takes just to get to that point, not to mention the people that have multiple characters at 70, so it was nice to be able to show off a little. I guess I have two people I need to convince to play now, one to start up and one to pick up where he left off.

No comments: