Thursday, March 13, 2008

Stuck in the swamp

Swamps are sorta depressing. Maybe it's just the fact that I've been questing in the swamp for the past couple days now, went from Swamp of Sorrows to Dustwallow Marsh and I'm still working on clearing out all the quests there. I figure I better do all the quests here as this is my lowest level Alliance character which means she will be the last I ever have at this point in the game unless they decide to create any new classes that start at level 1, but at this point I think any new classes will be hero classes and start at a higher level. I think some of these Dustwallow quests are old ones that were here before patch 2.3, but most of them seem to be new.

The new Defias quests seem like they would be pretty cool if they led somewhere like they did in Westfall, but you basically end up flying over an island with a lot of high level elite dragons and such and that's about it. This is where adding new mid-level content to the game would come in handy. Sure we killed Van Cleef, but that was 20 levels ago, why not give us another Defias instance, since obviously VC answers to someone more powerful. I'm not saying we need another instance, just a way to wrap things up, but maybe they are planning that in future expansions. Doesn't seem like the Defias leader would be in Northrend, but if there are more expansions after that they have plenty of storylines they've left unanswered so far, I just view these mid-level storylines as trivial compared to the threat of Arthas and Illidan, so I would assume if they were to clear them up they would add it in as more mid-level content.

I was reading some suggestions for future expansions for the game and came across someone who had a good idea in theory, but it would be very hard to implement. They suggested to create more factions for the Burning Legion and the Scourge, which would mean 4 factions fighting eachother. Maybe some people are getting tired of just having Alliance and Horde, and while Horde are meant to be more "evil" I would say they aren't really the big bad guys they used to be anymore. This idea intrigued me though, and I think there was mention of actually having different classes with these factions, something different from what the current factions have now. While I like that I can play a shaman on the Alliance side, I think the idea of having classes that only one faction can have is a good idea. It makes you play differently in groups, introduces alt players to the different content of the other faction, and I think extends the life of the game because of these things.

Now making the Legion and the Scourge factions would be a huge undertaking, since they would have to add low level zones, main cities, lots of mid-level content, basically double the size the game is now, in order to make them comparable to what the Alliance and Horde have currently. Now this is where faction specific classes come in, because the Legion and Scourge are so different from the others they probably shouldn't have exactly the same classes. They would have classes that fit the same roles, but are different. Necromancers can take the place of warlocks with summonable pets and lots of DOT's, while shadowmages can be similar to mages, but maybe with shadow spells replacing ice among other differences. This would have been a perfect way to introduce the death knight as the anti paladin, but too late now. Assassins instead of rogues, some kind of evil shapeshifter as a druid-like class, not sure what to do about every class, but these are just off the top of my head. If they were to take the effort to make such a huge expansion it would extend the life of the game by a huge amount. It would pretty much be adding a whole new game, of course they might want to save that idea for WoW2. I'm still excited to hear if we will get Diablo 3, that would probably replace WoW for me.

No comments: