Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Mounts

Being someone who plays a bunch of alts, and the fact that I currently have 4 that are under level 30, I'm excited about getting them to that point and being able to mount up 10 levels earlier than before. Now since I don't have any high level horde characters to fund my buying of mounts, I caught a lucky break because two of those characters are a warlock and a paladin, both of whom learn a spell for their mount instead and don't have to spend a lot of hard earned cash to do it. It seems to me this will cause a bit of a dilemma once I get them to level 60 and their epic mount becomes available.

Both warlocks and paladins have quest chains to go through to get their epic class mounts that involve a number of various items, as well as killing bosses in some of the level 60 instances. The problem is there aren't many people that bother with those instances anymore, so I think that would make it very difficult to find a group. Sure if you could get a couple 70's to join up with you it would be a piece of cake, but how many 70's out there would be willing to spend their valuable time running you through a lower level instance to help you out when there is no chance for them to get anything valuable out of it. All those epic drops we used to drool over pre-BC are now useless compared to even the quest greens you get from Outland. Unless you have a nice guild that is up for some fun in old world dungeons, I think high level help will be hard to come by.

If you're stuck in a situation where you can't get any 70's to help out, you have to resort to different methods, namely, finding others that can benefit from what you need to do. For the most part this doesn't include many people. Those instances were hard for us at 60, and anybody past 58 will probably have moved on to Outland for much better items than what you would be seeing. What you have to do is find others of your class that also want to get their epic mounts. This is going to take a lot of patience, and hoping that there are some higher level players out there who put off getting theirs. Going into Stratholme with a bunch of level 60 paladins hoping to take down a boss that was hard for a well balanced group of 60's will get frustrating very quickly. Warlocks might have a better shot at their Dire Maul boss, but without much in the way of healing, that one will be pretty tough too. You're probably going to have to recruit a few that are 65 or above so that you can take those bosses down quickly.

In my Outland escapades I have noticed a lot of paladins and warlocks who either still have their normal mount, or decided to just buy a different epic mount instead of doing those quests. This could be a good sign, and hopefully it means some people will be willing to help out since it will help themselves too. I haven't looked at prices for those quest items you need, but hopefully they are much less than they were before, considering how few people are probably bothering with getting those mounts now.

I guess buying a normal epic ground mount is an option, but it just wouldn't feel right knowing that your class could get a mount made specifically for them. It's still a long way off, but when that quest chain becomes available I will be trying my hardest to find people to help me get it done and get my mount. With my sparse amount of playing time I can't be too picky over whether or not I get epic gear, but there are certain things you just have to be picky about, and this is one of them. The other is getting a frostsaber mount for my priest, but that's a different story. I hear those rep quests start getting old pretty quickly.

No comments: