Friday, August 1, 2008

Son of a Gruul

I don't die very often during regular questing. I can usually manage to take on an add or two if I switch over to bear form so I can absorb more damage. Then yesterday I was killing some beasts in BEM because those gnomes wanted some of the items they dropped. Then off in the distance I see a huge gron, those big guys that hang out with the ogres. His name is Maggoc I think, and his title was Son of Gruul. Well he looked pretty big, mean, and scary, so I tried to stay my distance from him. It's a lot like staying away from Fel Reavers in Hellfire Peninsula. For some reason, even though they are huge, they manage to sneak up on you somehow. Well I had finally gotten the hang of looking out for those guys so I was a little better at staying away from this guy.

So there I am, happily clawing away at a raptor, and just when I finish killing him I see Maggoc coming around to make another pass in my area. This time he was pretty close, so I didn't have much time to get away and figured stealthing (or prowling I suppose is what druids to) would be the best way to go. So I hit the button, see myself turn transparent and I should be safe right? Hmmm, guess I didn't notice the raptor had given me a DoT disease that was ticking away, and wouldn't you know it, next tick and my stealth breaks and Maggoc is all over me. First he throws a rock, and it does 2000 damage, then he comes over and punches me into the ground for another 2500 and I'm dead because I never had time to heal after the last fight.

Now this wouldn't have been too bad, the graveyard was pretty close to my body, except that there was a big pit in between. See I was right next to Death's Door, which is basically a big hole in the ground surrounded by cliffs with Burning Legion mobs walking around. Well, I had to go around, although I guess it wasn't too bad, but why can't they make ghosts able to fly? I mean come on, Casper can fly, Slimer can fly, pretty much any other ghost can fly, so why can't ours? We can already walk on water, flying is just the next step. I guess they have to make you suffer for dying somehow, and this is a lot less harsh than some other games. I always hated dying in Diablo 2 and losing a chunk of experience and a bunch of gold, and while gold didn't really matter much later on, it mattered a lot on new characters, and that's also when you tended to die more often.

It's Friday and I'm not making much sense so I'm gonna stop now. Have a great weekend everybody!

No comments: