Friday, August 15, 2008

Taking on the Legion

I'm in the process of building a bomb to take out the Legion's infernal reinforcements. If any of you don't know what I'm talking about, it's a quest in Shadowmoon Valley. So far I have hidden in a box while eavesdropping on the Legion's plans to destroy the Alliance and Horde bases there, then took some parts from broken Fel Reavers to put together to form a bomb.

Overall I'm having a good time in this zone. The quests aren't so much just killing random mobs for drops, there are a lot that have to do with taking down the big bad guys. It feels more like I am contributing to the cause and less like I'm just collecting some items for some lazy NPC that can't take the time to do it himself.

I'm also past the halfway point between 69 and 70, and this weekend I may just be able to push myself up over that final hump and make it to the top. It's gonna be hectic though, there are a lot of birthdays in August for some reason, maybe because Christmas is 9 months before? Anyway, I have two birthday parties to go to, and that might not leave much time to get that last half of a level, but I think I'm only gonna need a few hours to get there.

I normally can't watch YouTube videos at work, and that includes all those videos on BRK's site that he's posted recently showing him with some of the new pets and their talent builds. Well the filter is down today or something because there they were, and I could watch them. I must say, I'm pretty excited to play my hunter now and get some of those new pets when the new expansion comes out.

Obviously the one I'm most excited about is the devilsaur, as I'm sure most hunters are drooling over that one, but what I'm really hoping is that pretty much any beast can be tamed. I know it's a long shot, but there are a lot of beasts in this game that I would love to see running alongside some hunters. Maybe I wouldn't personally want each one, but I know if they were made available there would be hunters who would use them.

All those beasts in the Barrens? You know, the zhevras and giraffes and such? Kodos would be cool, along with their cousins the clefthoofs. The stags in Ashenvale? Actually, how sweet would it be to tame a squirrel? Or a chicken? I know we can have them as cosmetic pets, but you could really humiliate some people by letting your pet sheep kill them.

Alright, maybe this won't be implemented for the critters, but I really do think any mob in this game that is defined as a beast should be tameable. I know they will be making some of them "exotic" pets only tameable by beastmaster hunters that get that talent, but I know how hunters are. We look for that perfect pet that very few people have. We want people to stop us in Ironforge and ask us where we got it. By making this plethora of new pets available to hunters you would be making us very happy indeed.

Why I think this won't be hard to implement is this. The animations don't have to change when you tame a pet, so no work there. With the new pet talents they don't have to define which skills you can teach each and every pet, just which type of pet they are. It seems most pets have a special skill specific to their family, and with the imagination Blizzard has I'm sure they could come up with some more to go along with the new families.

In a game like this, with all the hours we put in to deck out our characters, customization seems to be one of the things we haven't been able to fully explore. Soon we will be getting new haircuts, even more mounts, better armor, even glyphs that will change druid shapeshifted forms, so why not give us a wider variety of pets to pick from? Not just different skins from the same family (there are so many cats out there it's ridiculous), but new families altogether.

I think this is the direction Blizzard will have to go in order to keep people interested. Add in more variety so we can make our characters unique and cause others to turn heads. Obviously some of the more exotic differences will be hard to achieve, but much like the titles that we can get floating next to our names, I'm sure we wouldn't mind even more stuff that makes people look and be impressed.

No comments: