Friday, August 8, 2008

Time to knock 'em out

As I mentioned before, I'm having some trouble getting to where I want to be before I head out to the next zone. See, once the expansion comes out I want to have some leftover Outland quests I can finish up before I head out to Northrend and the new content, that way I will be ahead of the game and have a much easier time with the new stuff.

As of now I'm working my way toward level 69 and have pretty much finished BEM except for some elite stuff that I can't do on my own. I really wanted to hit 69 before moving on, and since I hate grinding, that's causing a little bit of a dilemma. I tried to do some of the elite quests in BEM last night but didn't stand a chance on my own, and with no luck finding help I was stuck.

I checked out my quest log and I had kept a bunch of the elite quests from other zones, and some of them were now 4-5 levels below me, which usually means they can be soloed, even though they will still be tough.

First I headed to Zangarmarsh to take out the two naga leaders that I failed to kill while I was there the first time. The first one had this ice spell that summons blocks of ice that blow up and cause AOE ice damage. Not and easy fight despite the level difference, and I almost died, especially when she started running and I got a few adds, but I managed to take her out and then book it out of there. I think the only thing that saved me was that she ran out of mana.

Next up I found the other leader, and this guy was all melee, which was perfect for me since I can just pop bear form and tank the hell out of him. He also had this big knockback that he used, and it actually helped a couple times since I could cast a heal or two as he ran over to where he had knocked me back to. No problem on that guy.

Without much time left I made my way to Terokkar. I had previously abandoned the elite quests there to make room for new ones, but I managed to find the quest givers again and picked up the quests, but had no time to do any of them because it was already way past my bedtime.

I really like these challenging fights. Fights where you actually have to prepare before going into it, where you barely make it out alive and you have to be ready to react to anything they throw at you that you didn't expect.

The first naga leader I fought summoned a water elemental, rooted me, and ran away once she ran out of mana, and I had to figure out how best to deal with those situations with so many other mobs in the area that I really didn't want to aggro.

The challenge is what makes these games fun, and it doesn't just apply to WoW. Most games have boss fights, some of them requiring more skill than others, but the ones that have your heart pumping at the end when you finally win are the ones that you feel the most accomplished about.

It isn't the fights you win easily. Sometimes games that are too easy can get boring really quick. WoW keeps it interesting though, and even though I don't get the accomplishments I would get from raiding or PvP, I still get to face all those mini boss battles that require all of my focus to get through.

I'm actually excited to see how well I fare against the elite mobs in Terokkar since they should be a little tougher, but I think I'm up for it. This is where you get to learn to use the skills you don't normally use and be creative because you aren't conserving anything to save on down time for the next fight, you're going all out and using everything at your disposal to win.

No comments: