Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Finally over the hump

I didn't level my druid last night like I've been doing for the past week. Nope. After watching the football game (I'm a Panthers fan and actually had to pay attention to this one, so no WoW during it), I decided to go ahead and push my priest's enchanting skill to the 300 mark, no matter what it took.

Luckily I didn't have to spend all the money I had to do it, but I did have to spend a lot. Enchanting mats are expensive, especially the ones that everyone knows you need to level.

I made my way to Moonglade to buy a couple recipes that would make it easier to level. I was already at 290, so I only needed to go 10 levels, but I pretty much had none of the mats I needed to get there.

First up was making a Runed Arcanite Rod. Guess what you need for that? An Arcanite Rod, and those are made by blacksmiths, which I don't have any of, so it's off to the AH. Oh look there's a few on there, the cheapest one costs...75g. Well I'm getting to 300 tonight, so goodbye 75g, hello Arcanite Rod.

Next up is a Golden Pearl, and the only ones selling are a stack of 3 for 6g. I bought them and put the other two up for 6g, maybe I can get away with it. I also had to buy Greater Eternal Essences because for some reason they hate me and everything I disenchant gives me dust, doesn't seem to matter if it's a weapon or armor.

Then I needed lots of Illusion Dust, of which I had 8, so I only had to buy 2 more, sweet. And surprisingly enough I already had the Large Brilliant Shards I needed to complete the recipe.

So I made my new rod, and now I'm at 291 skill. Only 9 more to go. I take a look at my recipes and see that with the mats I have I can still enchant 3 bracers with Greater Stamina, and with no more recipes from this point on needing Dream Dust, why not see what I get out of it.

The recipe was green, so I was expecting maybe one to get me a level, but the first one got me a level. Well that was unexpected, but great! Then try the next one, and get another level! Awesome! My luck has probably run out by now, but I still have one more to try...and it bumps me up to level 294! Maybe that will make up for the 7 times I used it last time I was on and it gave me no levels. Either way, that's 3 less levels I have to buy mats for.

So I need more Illusion Dust, and I just used the last of it on that rod, so now it's back to the AH to buy the cheapest I can find in mass quantities. Surprisingly, it wasn't the stacks of 20 that were cheaper overall, it was the stacks of 5.

So after buying enough to finish the job, I had probably spent more than half the money my priest had on her when I started, but I did make it to 300. From there I made my way to Hellfire Peninsula to find the trainer, but when I got there I got interrupted by the cat and decided to call it quits.

In the end I did make it to 300 enchanting. Did I spend way more gold getting there that I needed to? Probably, but a lot of that was on the Arcanite Rod, which I can't get on my own. So while I could have waited for some random greens to disenchant from my hunter and shaman for the rest, I can always sell them to pay myself back later on too.

I'm so glad my druid only has one crafting profession, although he's almost level 74 and his leatherworking is still below 300, but farming for leather is easy, especially when what you need comes off mobs that are 20 levels below you. Hopefully all the Outland leather he has built up will get him a good chunk of the way to 375 as well.

I think I'll be sending him back to do that once he finishes up Howling Fjord. I need to get his new skills anyway, and with no class trainers in Northrend I guess I have to make my way back at some point.

These professions are so much work, but I find myself needing to do them anyway. One of the drawbacks of being a completionist.

No comments: