Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Helping out

The more I play in Northrend the more it grows on me. My druid is closing in on the level 71 mark and the way these quests are set up is great, an awesome change from the normal way we've been used to for so long.

First, despite there still being many kill X amount of Y or collect X amount of a certain item, there are many other variations on how to accomplish those quests. On top of that, there are a lot of brand new mechanics used, such as being able to ride wandering beasts, spearing a giant sea creature to drop it's health to a level you can deal with, and lots of others.

Another thing that threw me off at first, but that I now think is a great change is getting away from only having a few central quest hubs per zone and pretty much having to run back there every time you have quests to turn in. Now the quests givers are scattered around, but not in a way where you would miss them entirely if you didn't know where they were.

Much like when you first started out in your starting zone at level 1 and finished those quests, then were sent on your way to the next town via a quest, you are now sent to find various NPCs around the map after completing other quests. Not only that, but the quests have a certain succession to them that minimizes travel time. It was very well thought out.

I'm finding the experience very enjoyable so far, and while there are more players around than I'm typically used to seeing, I don't find it overly crowded. I also haven't been ganked much, and the few times I have didn't interfere too much. It seems Horde is more focused on leveling than picking a fight that could possibly cause them more trouble if that particular player has any friends around.

I'm not really sure how much more I have left to do in Borean Tundra, but after I'm done there I will be heading over to the Howling Fjord to check that out too. I'm excited to see what that place is like.

No comments: