Friday, February 8, 2008

Decisions, decisions...

As I'm sure is common with most of you with alts, I have come to the point where I'm having trouble deciding which one to play each time I sign on. Basically I don't really have a main just toons of each class at varying levels, and they each have their own appeal. I enjoy the variety, trying to mix it up, and learn the strengths and weaknesses of each class not by watching, but by actually playing them. Sometimes I'll be questing on one toon and see someone else use a strategy with another class that I might not have thought of, and next time I play my toon of that class I will try it out.

Now the dilemma I have isn't so much which class to play but it depends where they are in the game. I just got my priest to 60 and have yet to go to Outland. This is one thing I like about the new faster levelling from 20-60. I haven't even been to Silithus yet, still have a bunch of stuff in EPL to do, and some things to finish up in Winterfall before I move on, and may end up being 61 or even 62 before I enter Outlands. You may be thinking "why don't you just go now and forget about what you have left?" I thought about that, but I like to make things easy on myself. I figure if I start Outlands at a higher level, the quests will be easier for me, which means I will probably get through them faster, in turn getting me to 70 faster. Alright, maybe in the long run my extra time spent finishing up Azeroth doesn't really make things go faster overall, but I've learned from my mistake of heading to Outland at 58 with my druid and ending up in Zangarmarsh at 61 (which makes it very difficult for someone who doesn't want to grind), so I figure while the quests are there I might as well do them anyway and get the extra XP. Actually, I just had an idea, maybe I'll take my druid back at some point for the quests I skipped to try to get to 62 at least so I can take Zangarmarsh by storm. I think that could work, and I haven't been on my druid in a long time, I'll have to think about that.

Well that got me off topic. The real problem is that my shaman is level 49, and my hunter is 41, so basically if I play my shaman I will be repeating what my priest just did for the last 10 or so levels, in the same way if I play my hunter it will be going through the content my shammy just went through. And this is why I made an undead mage. I haven't done much Horde content over level 20 and my mage just finished up the Ghostlands (wanted to get the blue staff from the last quest there), so most content I do with him from now on will be new to me. I also like the mage so far, it's a different style of play, you can't just stand there and take hits so you have to vary between fire spells for high damage and ice spells to keep mobs out of melee range. I think this is my best option for the moment, and while I want to push to get my priest into Outland, I think taking a break from the Alliance side in general will make going back that much more appealing. That and I like to fully rest my toons before playing them again to get max XP, so thats at least 10 days.

No comments: