Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Into the Maw of Frustration

I decided to hop on my druid today, been a while since I played him and I wanted to have some feral fun. As I said before, I decided to head back to Azeroth in the hopes of getting him a little extra XP before continuing on in Outland. I decided to hit Silithus first since I had not completed too many quests there before and it would give me the most benefit. So I massacred a Twilight Cultist camp and stole their pages, spoke to some dwarves about a missing night elf girl, and reported back. Then I was told to find the girl, well fine, the bugs in the hives are no longer elite and shouldn't be too much trouble, so I headed down into the tunnels, snuck by most of the bugs in stealth, then cleared the room with the girl in it before going after her. I didn't really read the story too closely, but I guess she now follows Cthun, the boss at the end of AQ, so I had to kill her, no problem, just pounce on her then DPS her to death, and there ya go, all done.

Not quite. Once I got out of the tunnel I went to see the dwarves again, just to check up on them, and they each had quests for me...requiring me to go back in the tunnels again to collect bug brains and rub some glyphs. Well I had no trouble with the first two hives, only had to kill 5 or 6 bugs to get a brain, then stealthed to the glyphs, but the third hive (the one I had previously visited) had a little surprise waiting for me. I got the brain no problem, then get back to the room with the girl because it also had the glyph. Well I had no trouble last time, actually she went down pretty quick and I had expected her to put up more of a fight. Cleared the room again and went at it, but this time she decided to use her spells. I'm not really sure why, but the first time I fought her she just hit me back and I killed her no problem. This time she was fearing, healing herself, using DoT's, it was crazy. She was like a shadow priest/paladin hybrid or something. She had a lot of armor and health but she could also use Shadow Word: Pain, Mind Flay, Psychic Scream, and had the Blackout skill that stuns you sometimes when you get hit with shadow damage. On top of this, even with very little mana she would cast a healing spell that brought her back up to full health, it was ridiculous, I just could not kill her, we were at a standstill. The only way I could think of was to all out DPS her in cat form and hope to kill her before she healed, but I could never do it, even with a bunch of back to back crits. Now I was pretty much impossible to kill too, any time I got low on health I shifted out of cat form, popped a Rejuvenation and Renew, then go back to cat form, and the mana would replenish during the fight. I think I was fighting her for a good 5 minutes before the bugs started to respawn, then I had no chance, she feared me into one and then had both on me. Now this wouldn't have been a big problem, I figured I'd focus on the bug since it was weaker and get rid of it so I can focus on her again. No such luck, she heals the bugs too, so at this point I pretty much had no chance, I just couldn't DPS fast enough to beat her heals and cat form has no silencing or stun skills, how I wished for my rogue so I could Kick the crap out of her. I eventually died, then came back and cleared the room again. OK, I went through this process about 4 times and was just getting frustrated out of my mind, when I realized that clicking the glyph instantly popped up a dialogue box that would complete the quest, no time wiggling my hands in front of it, didn't matter if I was getting attacked while doing it, so I did that and ran, turned in the quests, leveled up to 62, then went back and paid my 5g bill for dying so many times. Now I'm gonna mop up in EPL before heading back to Zangarmarsh, hopefully I will be around halfway to level 63 by then.

Whew, that was long, but hopefully you get the idea, and I'm still not even sure what I did wrong. I could have used bear form so I had Bash to stun her if she tried to heal, but then my DPS wouldn't be enough to down her before she came back from stun and healed herself anyway while my Bash was still on cooldown. Staying in human form is out of the question, I'm not specced for anything to use that form in a fight. So if there are any feral druids reading this that know what to do in this situation I would love to hear it. She could fully heal herself with little enough mana that by the time I had her almost dead she had regenerated enough mana to cast a heal again, I just don't see any way to do it with the skills I had.

No comments: