Thursday, February 14, 2008

To gank or not to gank

I remember when I first started WoW and my friend (who had previously played EQ) told me going with a PVP server is the only way to go, said it was the only way to get the whole experience of the game. Now he hadn't actually played WoW before either, but since he had played another MMO I figured he knew enough for me to trust him on this. Luckily everyone else I knew that played were on a PVP server too, decision made.

I really enjoy the world PVP experience, running into the other faction and deciding whether or not to attack them, or worrying they will attack you if they are much higher level, and planning out your course of action should they decide to try to gank you. I learned very quickly to watch my back, and the best way of getting out of a sticky situation with each class. With my first character being a rogue I caught a little break with stealth, but with my other characters I have to be more creative, try to use trees, rocks, and buildings to hide myself. Funny thing is I usually assume that the other player can only see in front of his character, so when their back is turned I figure I can sneak around behind them without them seeing me, which is sort of silly because I watch my back all the time, so what makes me think they don't? Sometimes I'll see an enemy, try to act like I don't see them, or even stand there for a while to make them think I'm AFK to try to get them to attack me, just to turn around and blast the hell out of them.

The thing about world PVP is it's a love hate relationship. Sometimes you get someone around your level trying to gank you and you manage to pull off some brilliant moves to beat them, even though they got the jump on you, and you just have to think to yourself "either they really sucked or I am awesome." I usually choose "I am awesome."

Then there are the times when you're running around STV at level 37 trying to do some quests when a level 70 runs up and ganks you in one hit and then spits on you. Seriously? I think the spitting is unnecessary unless I did something other than stand there and let you kill me because it was a hopeless situation. Not only that, you show up back to your corpse to see another lowbie like yourself who got ganked too, by the same guy. Well that makes sense, but why is this guy camping you now? I don't mind the ganking so much, just make your rounds, kill all the lowbies, have some fun, but what's fun about camping corpses? I'm not gonna rez while I can see you standing there, and sitting around waiting for someone to rez isn't fun either. This situation is when I hate world PVP, and wish they could do something about corpse camping without taking too much away. Maybe unflag a player from PVP after they rez from getting ganked for 10 minutes or something, the no honor thing is nice, but doesn't really apply when they aren't worried about whether they get honor or not. I guess the exception to this rule would be when in enemy territory, can't have people going to the capitals and running around invulnerable after being killed. Just a thought, but I think that's a justifiable way to avoid corpse camping but keep the PVP spirit.

For now I'll just level up my toons and come back to lowbie areas to do some ganking of my own when I'm bored, but I don't think I'll ever be bored enough to corpse camp anyone 30 levels below me.

No comments: