Monday, November 24, 2008

Busy weekend

Leveling in Outland is much faster. Much, much faster.

I found myself with a lot of free time this weekend due to various circumstances, and with nothing else really to do I leveled my priest.

So how far did I actually get? Well she now sits happily at about halfway through level 66, and also managed to buy her epic ground mount so I can finally outrun those stupid death knights when they attempt to gank me.

I finished off Zangarmarsh, except for the two elite nagas, and headed over to Terokkar. I got a good amount done there too, although I know there is a lot more to do, but I'm usually a couple levels higher than all the quests that I have to do so the quests are fairly easy and go quickly.

I'm very surprised with the pace I'm going. I've only been through these areas once before, but it seems like I know them just as well as the old world stuff that I've been through 10 times.

Somehow I still have some rested XP bonus that I didn't manage to use up, despite how much I played. I guess most of the experience is coming from quest turn-ins.

I'm also starting to develop a slightly different style of play than my previous shadow priest excursions. First, Dispersion would be a great spell if it wasn't the top tier talent in the shadow tree. I pretty much use it as a glorified version of Invocation. I could care less about the damage reduction, but I do like getting my mana back.

I also really love Shadow Fiend. I try to plan out the cooldowns of this and Dispersion so when I run out of mana one of them is up and I can get it all back.

I also had to learn to cope with not having Star Shards anymore. As a Night Elf that used to be my racial priest spell, but now we all get Devouring Plague. It's a good DoT, and I use it all the time, but Starshards was free to cast. Yep, free, and Devouring Plague costs about the same as Shadow Word: Pain. Sure it's not that bad, but I liked the free one.

Other than that it's all Mind Blast and Mind Flay, and the mobs almost never bring my shield down before I kill them. It actually makes it feel a little too easy, but it's nothing compared to what I see death knights doing.

I can take one mob at a time easily, two gets tough, and more than that I have to use a bunch of cooldowns, but I'll make it. For death knights I see some running around pulling 3 or 4 mobs at a time, and having no trouble with it.

I don't really care so much that they have the ability to do that, they are supposed to be a hero class after all, but it gets annoying when they are using it to take a bunch of mobs away from you that you need for a quest.

As I'm getting further along I'm noticing less death knights though. It's as if most players started them, got them through a little bit of Outland, and then either got bored or decided to take their mains out to Northrend. I'm sure some of them have already leveled through Outland and are on their way to 80, but I'm fairly certain that's the minority.

It's nice for me because I don't have to deal with them interrupting my questing, and I haven't had any more bad PvP experiences since the one I mentioned in my last post. Sure I got ganked a couple times, but there was no corpse camping involved, and after playing on this server for so long I'm used to it.

I think I'll be playing my priest until her rested XP bonus is up, or until she hits 70, whichever comes first, then I have to figure out who is up next. I think I'll wait on that until I get there though. I like to make my character choice a last minute decision.

No comments: