Thursday, November 20, 2008

How I keep travel time down

As you may know, my WoW time is fairly limited, and as such I have to find ways to get the most out of the time I have to play.

One thing I hate doing is traveling long distance, and this game requires a lot of it, so I find ways to travel without cutting into the time I could actually be leveling. The best way to do this is to use those little windows of time you have where it isn't enough to really play, but you don't have anything else to do in the meantime, or just where you can't give it your full attention but you can check in every so often.

Some examples of this are maybe you're waiting for a friend to pick you up for something and you know they won't be there for another 15 minutes, or maybe you are working out so you can't concentrate fully on the game, but in between sets you can check it.

Most of the time traveling doesn't even require you to be there, you just click the flight point and wait while you fly there. These are the best times to do something else while you wait. I usually watch TV, go to the bathroom, get myself something to eat, or if it's a situation where I'm getting ready to go somewhere I will change clothes, put shoes on, or whatever else I need to do to get ready.

The whole point of this is that next time I get the chance to play I will be ready to go.

Just yesterday I had gotten home from work and was changing out of my work clothes and getting ready to head back out. Now I know I'm going to want to play my hunter and shaman at some point in the future, and they will be starting in Outland. At the time they were still in Azeroth, on in Ironforge and one in Stormwind. Since I had other stuff to do anyway before leaving I made the trip to Outland with each of them.

Both characters had the Nethergarde Keep flight path, so there was no land traveling I would have to do until I got there. While each were flying I did other things I needed to do to get ready to go. When they landed I mounted up and made my way to the Dark Portal, picking up the quest on the way and went through.

Not only did I get to Honor Hold, but I got some XP out of it too from those first few quests. Even better is the fact that when I decide to play one of those characters I will already be where I need to be and can jump into some quests right then.

I also managed to find the time to transfer money to my mage and buy him his first mount. I was a little worried about his money situation, but with the money I made leveling the other mage to 55 in order to create my death knight I even had a little extra after buying the mount. I'm so glad they're have the price they used to be, otherwise he'd still be on foot.

That's really all I was able to do in what little time I had, but the upside is I won't have to deal with any of that boring stuff next time I log in. For anybody else out there that has limited time to play WoW, it's always a good idea to find ways of getting the most out of the time you do have and try get those other little things done in their own time.

No comments: