Monday, October 6, 2008

Continuing the flurry

Leveling seems slow on the shammy for some reason. I'm not sure if it's that the hunter has such an easy time killing things because of the pet, or if it's the fact that most of the quests I'm doing are at the same level or higher.

I usually try to do quests where I am a couple levels higher, thus making them easier and more quickly accomplished. In the case of my shammy, she's at a point where all the quests are at her level, or some of them even above. It's still much faster than my first time getting to 60, but the hunter just seemed to be able to blow through quests very quickly in comparison.

I pretty much finished up the Burning Steppes. There really isn't much to do there, and the orcs dropped medallions a lot more readily than I remember. I was getting stacks of 7-9 on each drop whereas on previous characters they seemed to drop very infrequently, and in stacks of 5 or less.

I also killed the big ogre and put his head on top of their hill. The dragon killing is so easy now that those big guys aren't elite anymore, and that was pretty much it. I headed over to Ironforge to turn in a couple older quests, then flew up to WPL.

The whole point of doing Burning Steppes first was to get a few levels so I could start WPL with the quests being pretty easy. Well I only made it a few bars into level 55 by the time I was done there, so while that was true for the first one or two quests in WPL, after those first two cauldrons I had caught up.

You can tell when they came up with some of these quests they expected a lot more exploration out of people. Did you know that each house at the farms where the cauldrons are located has a quest inside? I didn't on my first two characters, then they started showing the exclamation points on the minimap and I discovered quests that I didn't know existed. Gave me some extra XP, so I'll take it.

By the time I logged off last night I had completed the first three cauldrons, along with their respective farm house quests, set signal flares in Andorhal, and taken out the first set of Scarlet Crusade mobs.

On that note, that quests to kill that first set of Scarlet Crusade mobs is probably one of my most hated quests. This quest requires you to kill two each of four different Scarlet mobs, which includes Medics, Hunters, Mages, and Knights.

The mages and knights are no problem, you can find them at a barricade blocking the patch to Hearthglen. The hunters and medics are the problem. They are at a camp off to the side of the barricade so they are no problem to find, but they are placed so closely together that it is pretty much impossible to pull one at a time. The problem gets worse with the hunters because they have a pet as well, so most of the time you are fighting 3 on 1.

I have never figured out a good way to solo this quest. In the end you just have to figure out how to fight multiple mobs, and die a lot, or run away. With my Stoneclaw Totem I managed to make it through the quest, but I remember it being ridiculous on my rogue.

After all the quests where you can pull one mob at a time I'm not sure why this one was set up that way, or maybe it was a just something that ended up that way by accident. Either way I despise this quest, but since it's a chain that leads to a couple more, and I need XP, I had to do it.

I also managed to get ganked more than a few times. I'm not sure what level 70s are doing running around WPL, but this warlock had no idea DOTing me up and running off while I slowly died. Rather annoying, but I died close to the graveyard.

I'm getting close to level 56, and EPL will be next up. Now I'm a little worried about making it to 60 without questing in Kalimdor, but I think it might turn out that way. If it comes to that I'll probably do the furbolg quests in Felwood until I can go through the tunnel unharmed, then get through Winterspring and hopefully be 60 before done there. We'll see how it goes.

No comments: