Thursday, October 16, 2008

Subtle changes

Everyone is discussing all the big changes in the new patch, but while I've been playing I've noticed some little things that I'm liking.

First, boat crews are back! Ever since they introduced this, and then took it away soon after, I've wanted this to come back, and I think I actually mentioned it in an earlier post. It was always weird being on a boat with no crew. Who was steering? Now they're back, and you can buy stuff from a few of them. I like it.

Let's see how many people noticed this. You know how when you jump underwater, you actually jump...underwater. Well not anymore. Now you will swim up, same as when you hit spacebar (or whatever your jump button is) while flying. It's a small change, but makes sense, and I like the fact that they went into so much detail as to make that change.

One I'm not sure about yet is pets in defensive mode attacking as soon as you do. When you fire a shot at something your pet will automatically rush forward to attack. Same goes for warlock pets, no matter what spell you cast. The problem is that sometimes you want the mob to come to you. I like having the pet in defensive for when I get ambushed, but I might have to think about going passive now.

There are also a bunch of new spell animations. Warlocks' Drain Soul comes to mind. I never really like that it looked exactly the same as Mind Flay, and now they don't. I'm sure there are a bunch more out there, and I'll find them eventually, I just haven't had enough time to play around with them yet.

Oh, I also noticed that flying between Tranquillien and Silvermoon you fly on dragonhawks now instead of bats. Bats are used for Forsaken flight masters, and it makes sense that Blood Elves would have something different. Do Draenei have something different too? And what about the Goblins in neutral towns? I'll have to check it out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goblins in Neutral Towns have both a bat tower and a gryphon roost. (You can see this in Un'Goro crater) Draenei use the Night Elves' Hyppogryphs.

WhoopinYe said...

Ah, I was sort of hoping they'd made some changes to those too, but I guess they left them the same. I'm not sure what else they could use anyway. Oh well.