Thursday, October 16, 2008

Talent time

I usually do some research before putting points into my talent trees on new characters. I like to know where I'm going to end up and spend them accordingly, but it's a little different when you are already at a high level and your points get refunded.

My hunter went all BM up to the 51 point talent, and being level 60 that was the last talent. I also specced out the core hound (yet to be named), and hoping I made some good choices on that one. I went for stamina over armor, not sure how that's going to pan out, and pretty much spent the points in places that I think will complement the way I use my pet.

All the new spells I can use with her are going to change the way I play a lot.

The priest went shadow again. I ended up getting Dispersion, even though I'm not sure how often I'll use it for the damage reduction, but the mana regen intrigued me. I originally wanted to skip it and throw the rest into discipline, ending up with Divine Spirit, boosting my spellpower even more since I took the second to last shadow talent which I don't remember the name of right now. Actually I saw that Improved Divine Spirit adds spellpower as well, and I'm not sure how they compare. Truth be told, I'm not sure either talent is worth the points. Anybody have a better idea?

This patch also took away priest race specific spells. We all have Devouring Plague now, no more Starshards for me, and I guess I'm just going to have to get used to it. Holy Nova is now trainable, along with a few other new holy spells. I don't use holy much, so I doubt those will make a big difference for me, but Devouring Plague will replace Starshards in my rotation as an extra DoT.

The shaman is sticking with enhancement, and while I won't be able to summon spirit wolves for another few levels, I think she has a pretty good build that will fit into my play style quite nicely. I will be putting Windfury on my main hand and Flametongue on the off-hand from now on. That seems to be the way enhancement shammys are headed, and I never really liked Windfury proccing on my off-hand since it has a cooldown before it can proc again, meaning you could be losing a main hand proc.

Haven't respecced the druid or rogue yet. Druid will be feral of course, and I'm happy he's getting an out of battle rez, that cooldown was annoying. Rogue is up in the air as I don't play him much anyway, but I'm thinking he'll go back to combat. I haven't put much research into it yet though, and at this point I'm in no hurry to do so.

On the horde side I actually spent most of my time yesterday playing my warlock. She's now level 15 (up from 13) and will be speccing destruction until she hits level 50 and can spec for a Felguard, at which time I will switch it up. Leveling is so fast at these lower levels. It took less than two hours to gain those two levels and run her out of rested bonus.

I haven't respecced the rest of the hordies yet, but I have plans for them already. The mage will stick with frost, and I'm excited to see what all the excitement is about frost mages and how great they are now. The pally will go ret of course, and I will be looking to Blessing of Kings for some insight into talent builds since paladin trees confuse the hell out of me. The warrior will go fury, and I am looking to dual wield some two-handers, assuming it's better than one-handers.

I also plan on my death knight going unholy. I loved playing a necromancer in Diablo 2, and this seems to be the most similar to that. Somehow the couple names I wanted for him were already taken, so I'm still not sure about his name. Apparently lots of other WoW players also read obscure fantasy books. Who knew? I'll have to put some more thought into it.

I think my shaman is ready to make her way up to 60 now. I don't think her rest bonus is all the way to maximum yet as I don't think it's been 10 days since I last played her, but it's enough now that I can work with it. I better go make sure my ranks of Flametongue Weapon are up to speed first though, I think I skipped it last time I was at the trainer since I didn't use it.

No comments: