Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Hunters go crazy

As we all know, patch 3.0.2 came out yesterday, and with it came the ability for BM hunters to tame some very cool pets. It also means everyone will be fighting over those special pets that can only be found in certain places.

In my case it was the Kerken, the white core hound that lives on Azuremyst Isle. He's in a cave full of owlkins, and is only level 12, so any hunter able to get the final BM talent that lets you tame exotic pets will have no problem with him.

The problem is how many people have the same idea, and while it may be on the Draenei starting zone, there were a bunch of Horde there as well looking to grab their new pet. One Tauren hunter in particular showed up, but he had something different in mind.

This guy went by the name of LenzBenz (the B is a lowercase beta), and he proceeded to make sure that no one could tame the Kurken. How did he do this? Every time it respawned he killed it, and being level 70 on a level 12 it was a one-shot every time.

Oh sure we got some help killing the guy from some other 70s, and I think he was even pissing off the other Horde guys that were there for the pet too. This didn't seem to do anything but encourage him though because after being killed he would wait until respawn, rez, and kill it again in one hit.

I'm still trying to figure out what his motivation was. Did someone earlier on kill him during taming and he was taking revenge? Did he not want anyone else getting the pet? Was he just being a huge douchebag?

Whatever his reason, he was there for over 2 hours, just killing the Kurken every time it respawned. Actually I'm not sure how long he was there. He was there when I got there, and I stood around for a while until I realized he wasn't going to leave anytime soon, so I logged onto my other characters to see if I could figure out some new talent specs.

When I logged back in an hour and a half later he was still there. At one point we decided to let him tame the thing, hoping that maybe he just wanted it himself and thought he was entitled to it before everyone else.

No dice. He tamed it, told it to stay, and put it on aggressive, then walked away, but not too far. Now he just had to leave it there and it would kill the Kurken on its own. Sometimes he would run around the cave to make us think he left, then come in from a different direction when it respawned and kill it again.

We had about 10 people standing around at one point, Alliance and Horde, and one of them said they reported him, but I'm not sure it would do any good. I sure wish I could understand what he was talking out with the other Horde that were there. I know they were pissed too, but it would have been nice to at least know what idiotic reasoning he was giving them for why he was there.

I eventually gave up, as it was already way past my bedtime, and it's not like I needed it that second. I woke up this morning and logged in to a cave empty of players and the Kurken standing there waiting for me. I tamed it, logged out, and came to work.

Why must we be tormented by people like this? There was absolutely no way to stop him from doing it, and I'm sure it's nothing the GM's are going to bother doing anything about.

It's not even about how mad I was, but more that I just don't understand how you could spend hours of your Tuesday night just doing something to frustrate the hell out of people. That kind of mindset just seems foreign to me.

Well I tamed it anyway, although now I have to wait to try it out, but I'm hoping the frustration was worth it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is so obnoxious. Stupid griefers. Some people get a bigger charge out of ruining the game for others than playing the game themself. Rar.

Glad you got your corehound, in any case!